Yesterday was a very hectic day. I had events scheduled from 9am to 9pm all day long. I only missed one of them! However, I was very disappointed with the last event of the day.
*Warning! Those of you in my church ward may find the following comments offensive! Read at your own risk!*
That being said, it was our ward Christmas party last night, and it was rediculous. We moved into this ward just over 2 years ago. Many of you know that Rob isn't active in the church. This is not for lack of trying on my part and the part of family to encourage him in it, and after last night and the discussion we had afterwards, I really don't blame him. Two years ago, we attended our ward Christmas breakfast. It was an hour and a half late from the caterer and everyone was starving and kids were all over, it was not the celebration that should be expected at a religious event. Rob said then, never again would he attend a ward function, and he hasn't. It has taken me two years to get him to come back to a ward party. TWO YEARS. We arrived at the party at 6:30, which was the time everyone was instructed to be there because Santa was coming for the kids. Great, keep the kids entertained. The primary kids were also going to sing and it was supposed to be nice. So, the kids did the whole santa thing, and then dinner began. Now, I understand that ward budgets have been trimmed and things have changed from several years ago, (my dad is a bishop) but we had a soup and salad bar. That was it. My kids were hungry. They don't like clam chowder, and the enchillada soup was too spicy for my little kids. And really, how many kids willingly eat green salad, or pasta salad with green olives (even I don't like those). So, fine, we'd have a pb&j when we got home. No big deal. It was nice to have it catered even if it was different and hard for the kids. Now it's coming up to 8pm, my kids have school the next day, and the primary kids have yet to sing. Finally, a member of the bishopric stand up to the mic and Sis. Singing Lady and I are thinking this is great, the kids are going to sing, and we can be done. (oh, did I mention I was supposed to play the piano for the kids?) But NO! He announces that it is normally the cub scouts pack meeting night, so they were going to quickly hand out a few awards. WHAT?!??! This is a ward CHRISTMAS party. It's not a pack meeting, or a den meeting, or a young mens meeting, or a young womens meeting, it's a CHRISTMAS PARTY. My little kids were getting tired and cranky, my big kids were bored to tears and wanted to go, and Rob was ready to leave. He wasn't going to sit there anymore with a bunch of people he didn't know and didn't want to be with, to see the cub scouts get awards. He was there for Christmas. He was there looking for the meaning of it, to celebrate the spirit of it. Needless to say, Sis. Singing Lady is awesome, and very compassionate, and said to do what was best for my family. We left. My kids went home, had a snack, and went to bed. They didn't even fight before bed they were so tired. We will never again attend a ward activity. Rob refuses to go back. He thought it was a joke. And that makes me sad. Our wards and religion and activities shouldn't be a joke. They don't need to be perfect, but they should reflect what we believe in, and this was far from a Christ centered Christmas. To be honest, I went home and cried because it had taken two years for his attitude to change towards our ward, for him to come back and try to feel the gospel again, and he didn't get what he was seeking from the very people who are supposed to help him with it. We've been in this ward just over 2 years, we have no home teachers, we have no visiting teachers, I've been in primary this whole time and know very few people. Christmas is about Christ, and it was very disappointing to see our ward falling in with the world, rather than the spirit of the gospel.
Yeah, this is one HUGE complaint session, and I feel better for saying it. If you are offended, I apologize. I just coudln't let this one slide.
12 years ago


2 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about the ward party. I know how hard you've worked to get Rob back to a church function and I feel so bad that it was so terrible. I think I would have been disappointed too and I'm sure Spencer would have wanted to leave when they started handing out Cub Scout awards...it's completely unacceptable. You are such a good person and I know that Rob is too. Keep your chin up.
Aaarrggghhh!
Post a Comment