I last posted 2 YEARS ago. I loved my blog. It was a way for me to put on paper and share what was going on. I don't know how many people actually read my blog, but that isn't the point. The point is, it is an outlet for me similar to meditation. I can gather my thoughts, remember what I'm truly grateful for, express frustrations, and come to solutions for my struggles. I can celebrate my successes and those of my family. So, I've decided to start blogging yet again.
Since my last blog, the format has changed. The options and links have changed. So, bear with me as I figure my way around the new structure.
So, in the last 2 years, things have been interesting. My young Aspie went through speech and occupational therapy for about a year before we ran out of funds and support. She completely blossomed! She went through 2nd and 3rd grade without any struggle what so ever. We had few after school tantrums. We had friendships formed. We had teachers willing to make concessions regarding her homework. AND we were able to fully remove her from medications. This was HUGE for us. The side effects were not great, and having her develop her personality without the influence of mind altering drugs has been amazing. She has learned to incorporate her creativity into her writing. She has learned to love reading, and comprehend what she reads. She has learned to analyze math concepts. On her standardized tests this last year, she scored 100% in all math sections and 97% in all language arts sections. We still have to guide her through some aspects of social interaction, but she is becoming a very caring, compassionate, loving person instead of the angry incommunicative monster she was. I don't know that a person every grows out of an ASD diagnosis, but I fully believe our prayers are being answered. She may always be quirky, but she will be amazing!!!
Holden is a lego fiend. That boy can build anything and create anything. His imagination is amazing. He is 10, and he is tall. I think he's about 5ft tall. He wears a mens 8 shoe. He is going to be a big kid. He had such a fun year in 4th grade, and I'm sad he is going to be in 5th grade! It is too fast! He is developing this little personality that makes me crazy but I love it all the same. Ever since he was 4, he has this idea in his head about gender roles. He loves to do Man things. He loves to build stuff, repair stuff, grill stuff, take out the garbage, fix bikes, and carry around his multi-tool. He thinks dishes and cooking are for women, cleaning the bathroom and doing laundry should be done by the wife/mother, and that mom may be in charge but dad is the boss of all. Men have to work hard all day while women get to stay home, shop, and play with kids all day. I'm thinking this attitude needs to change. Either that or he better find a really strong woman who will love him enough to change his mind. I'm not sure how to change his thought process without breaking his spirit. But, he's cute, his eyes sparkle, and he is super helpful and supportive.
Jordan is in high school. This year she will be a sophmore. A sophmore! She has some amazing teachers that have helped her grow so much. She is an amazing student of english and literature. Her teacher was so impressed with her work last year. She didn't get below a 98% the entire year in that class. She is an amazing writer. He really tried to encourage her to pursue writing as a career option. She is looking forward to this next year. She is a member of the National Honor Society, she organized a shoe drive for Dando Amore, an organization that supports humanitarian efforts in Ecuador, and she's part of the the Idaho Falls youth Arts Council as some officer. She will be running for class president this next year, saving money for a humanitarian trip to Ecuador, and working on her PSAT's, ACT Plan test, and preparing for dual credit and AP courses her Junior year. She has amazing goals and works hard to achieve them. She also has a very full social life, so there is a lot of talking about life, friends, drama, hopes, dreams, and problems. I love it! We stay up late talking and giggling over stupid stuff, watching movies all night, Rob takes her to scary movies, which she LOVES, and she and I go have pie at midnight. I hope we are able to have such a great relationship as she continues to grow and mature.
Lastly, Skylar. I saved him for last because if I didn't, I would end up crying and not get to the other 3 kids. My baby turned 16. He is driving. He is dating. He is job hunting. He has a new puppy. He wants to be independent. He is going to be a junior. So one of 2 things will be happening in 2 years. 1-he will go off to college, probably a few states away since he wants to be a doctor. Or 2-he will go on a mission for 2 years to some far off place. Either way, I'm trying to prepare him for both without him knowing that is what I'm doing because he wants to be independent and not have anyone tell him what to do. This is the year where his ACT and SAT count. The year where he takes the National Merit Scholar qualification test. The year were he starts finding opportunity for community service and leadership. The year where he starts to research universities, and begins the process of visiting campuses. I'm a little excited about that part. Campus tours will be fun. I love a good road trip, and last year he started getting letters from universities because of his testing scores and academics. It scares the crap out of me, but I'm so very proud of him at the same time. I remind him that most universities have deferment programs for church service, most will hold scholarships, and most will look favorably on students who have 2 years of voluntary service to a community. I've had a lot of people tell me not to worry, it's still 2 years away. But those 2 years FLY by so quickly, and I don't want to miss a minute of it.
Rob is amazing. That is really all I can say about him. He is now general manager of the shop. He has grown the shop. He works very long hours. We don't see him much, but when we do he tries very hard to be present and engaged with the kids. He provides for our family so I can stay home and care for our children. I love him very much for that. I didn't have kids so someone else could raise them. I am thankful to be able to raise our family.
I am considering going back to school to finally finish my degree in nursing. I want to get my BSN, bachelor's RN. After much research, I've decided that pursuing the BSN is a better choice than getting an associates RN, and then pursuing the BSN. I'm scared. I'm old. I have kids at home, I will have kids in college while I'm finishing up. It's scary. I'm hoping to start in January. We will see if I have the guts to actually apply and follow through. Scary!
So, that's what has been going on around here. Not much. Normal life stuff. Oh, and we went to the Oregon coast with Heath and Tina in 2012. That was awesome! It was spring, so it was rainy and a little chilly, but it was fun! Next year we are hoping for Disneyland. The last great family vacation before Skylar graduates and the kids begin leaving the house. It's going to be a crazy 3 years!
12 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment