Okay, so I know this is an interesting title, but there is a good reason for it. I love to play video games. I've played them since my parent's bought us the first Atari in the 80's, all the way to the present with the creation of the Wii. I love our Wii. It's fun for the whole family, it makes you move, and it has great games for kids and adults alike. However, I love to play game on the computer and the internet as well. Oh yeah, I remember playing Loderunner on our Apple IIe, the first computer my parents ever got, and Mathblaster, Battle Chess, and A-B-scenes. Now we have great games like bejeweled and tetris. You can even play scrabble and poker online. You can be a pirate, or an army ranger. You can make-believe in Everquest, Age of Conan, or World of Warcraft. Currently, I am a WOW (world of warcraft) addict. Yes, I admit it. I put my kids to bed at night, and join my real life friends, who also have kids, for a little socialization, gossip, and mental stimulation. Here is where the thieves come in. Someone hacked my friends computer, and took all her stuff from her characters. I want to know why people do this. I mean, it's bad enough that people steal and shoplift in real life, but now they have to do it in make-believe land too? I don't understand the point of it. It would be like playing Guitar Hero III, passing all the expert songs, then having someone delete all your scores so you have to start over. There's no point to it! But then, maybe that is the point. They do it because they can. They do it because they have no patience to earn the stuff themselves, because they are jealous, because they have no respect for other people's things. I wonder about the kids I see, the teenagers and those growing up, and why they are being allowed to act this way. There is no respect for property, self, or others. I haven't decided if it's a lack of parental influence, or too much influence from our media and other sources. Whatever it is, it has spilled over from real life, to recreation. From the tangible to the intangible. We give our kids these games for entertainment, and even there, they lie, cheat, and steal. It really is too bad our society has become so permissive, lacking basic morales and respect. I hope whoever did this to my friend is caught. There are real life laws in place to punish them, but it is doubtful they will ever be caught, because everyone can be anonymous in cyberspace.
12 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment