Monday, September 14, 2009

Garden Dogs

My garden is quickly coming to an end. I have loved having a garden more than I thought I would. It has been a great experience for the entire family, including the dogs. For those who don't know, I have 2 adorable mini schnauzers. They are as much kids as the other 4. They love the garden. They love being in the garden. They love eating the garden. Oscar has been really good about staying out of the garden and being outside the fence even when I have the gate open. Madi on the other hand has to be in the garden ALL the time. Her favorite veggies are the peas. She will steal them off the vines and chomp the entire thing. Oscar loves them too, but he's good enough to wait for us to give them to him. They also love the carrots that Haiden has picked and fed them. More recently, we started cleaning out the garden. We removed the corn stalks, beans, peas, zucchini, etc. The dogs thought this was the greatest thing ever! They were trying to pick the tiny corn ears off the stalks (we totally messed up our corn and 1/2 of it didn't pollinate.) They were taking off with the pea plants and trying to find pods we missed. They are funny dogs. I was also picking the ripe tomatoes and Jalapenos. Madi kept picking the peppers out of the bowl and trying to eat them. She didn't like them much. Having a garden has been a wonderful thing, and we will definitley be doing it again next year!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

We used to have a dog that ate peas, too. She also used to go through the raspberries and suck them off.

You should save all the scraps from your garden and till them under for compost.

Sarah Sharp said...

My parents have adog who would make himself sick eating their strawberries, and got stuck several times in the tomato cages because they looked like really BIG strawberries.
Now that you know you'll do it again next year, would you like to share? I have planty of space and no experience, but would love your pointers! :)