Last winter, over the course of a few short months, I managed to gain a whole bunch of weight. I have no idea how other than it was probably related to the other health and body imbalances I was having at the time. Oh, and the fact that I made brownies and cookies a lot. At the end of May, I changed my eating habits. I'm not so good at exercise because I don't like to get up in the morning and I don't like to sweat. I am proud to say I have lost 20 pounds! I contribute this to changing my eating habits and taking control of my health. I am insulin-resistant (pre-diabetic). Diabetes runs on both sides of my family so I'm genetically predisposed for it. I decided to follow my Dr.'s advice and take the medication to control my blood sugars. I also had killer migranes, which were apparently due to severe vitamin defficiency. By balancing out my health I was then able to take control of my eating habits.
I love to cook. And I'm a great cook. My kids would rather have me cook their birthday dinners than take them out. Often times Rob and I will get ingredients for me to cook rather than go out because there isn't anything at a restaurant I can't make. (with the exception of some mexican and chinese dishes. Those still elude me.) So often times with the delicious meals come fabulous deserts. I make most things from scratch because face it, from the box just isn't as good. So most everything I make has real butter, whole milk, cream, whatever in it. These are wonderful ingredients, just not every day! I changed my eating habits to balance my health. I've included a lot more fresh vegetables. I purchase a lot of what is in season and fresh at the store as well as using what I grew in the garden. I use more lean meats in better portion sizes. I limit starches like pasta, rice, and potatoes. They are no longer fillers for a meal. I serve salad with every meal, and change it up by adding different toppings to it. (ie: green salad, caesar salad, coleslaw) I limit my carbs per meal and snack. It's individual for each person, but mine is limited to 30/meal and 15/snack with 3 meals and 2 snacks. The snacks are important because they keep me from getting hungry and eating too much or the wrong foods. I still cook, just healthier. I still use butter and cream and make desert. But not everyday. Sunday dinners I go all out, but during the week I am careful how I cook.
Rob and I have added a nightly walk to our routine and it's been nice. It's great to be able to leave the oldest in charge to get the others ready for bed. I don't know if we will walk when it snows, but for now it is a nice change and destress time for us. Anyway, I'm so excited I've lost the weight, and I can't wait to lose more!
12 years ago


2 comments:
Cliff is also pre-diabetic. We are just starting to figure out a diet and exercise plan for him that won't seem too "diety" or take too much time from the fam. It's hard! Congrats on the weight loss! :)
Rob is now completely diabetic. We've changed our entire famiy diet, but so far it's been really good. We try to keep all sweets our of the house, Haiden will eat them all anyway. If you want tips, let us know! Rob's been great at finding ways of satisfying that sugar craving without cheating his diet. :)
Post a Comment