Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Funerals, Family, and Fun

My grandmother's funeral was wonderful! It was nice to see all my relatives again, and meet those I've only heard stories about. There were a lot of musical numbers, since that is all she wanted, and it was short, sweet, and to the point. Skylar and Jordan went, and they were sad like the rest of us, but it was good for them to be there. It seems like once the surviving spouse passes, the siblings drift apart. I haven't seen my cousins on my mom's side in years, not since my grandpa's funeral. I was glad to see my cousins, despite the occasion, since it will probably be years before I see them again.

As for our family, we are crazy as ever! Soccer season is finally over! And t-ball, golf, and dance have begun! This is the last week of school, and the kids are excited but sad to be out. They really enjoy being in school not just for the friends but they like the learning and work that goes on as well. (yes, we know they are strange. :) ) Holden has Kindergarten round-up and will get to meet his teacher and see his classroom before school starts next year. He is very excited about that. Skylar passed all of his Hall of Fame facts and will get to go to Blast Off as a reward. The facts include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, the U.S. Map, States and Capitals, and I think there was one more thing. Maybe not. But, we are so proud of how hard he worked to get the reward! It is no wonder his teacher nominated him to go to D.C.! Jordan is loving dance, and really hopes I can get more students so she can be on the performance team in the fall. We will see. It is a huge time and financial commitment. We told her she has to follow through for at least a year on this. I think she will do it, since she is really enjoying it. Both the kids have started their weekly golfing. It is so fun! I'm so jealous and really want to go golfing too! Adults can't golf on Jr. Day, so I just get to walk and watch. It's good exercise. They play 9 holes on the big course, so it makes for long mornings! Holden loves t-ball. The 5 year old age group is hilarious! They are so cute and so funny! They hit the ball, then don't know which way to run. They catch the ball, then won't give it to anyone. It is a hoot to watch!

Haiden is still Haiden! She is still very smart, but a little off. She has been writing her's and Holden's names the last few weeks, and she can only write them backwards. We try to get her to write them forward, and she gets confused on where the letters go, and how they are formed, but if we let her write it how she wants, she writes it backwards and gets it right every time. So, yet another thing to discuss with her Dr. She wandered off from my parent's house, and didn't know why it was wrong. We found her a block over, taking a walk. She still doesn't understand boundaries, rules, consequences, etc. It makes for very challenging days. We are trying to get her into an early intervention preschool next fall, but we will see how that goes. It's just one more thing I worry about, besides all the other things with her. Oh well.

0 comments: