It finally got warm! We had SNOW, actual snow covering the ground, last week but this week has been beautiful with 80 degree weather and sunshine!
Monday was the first day the older kids golfed the full 9-holes at the golf course. So, there we were, 7:30AM, walking for 2 1/2 hours, and smacking a little white ball towards a hole in the ground. The kids did really well and really had a good time. I did enjoy the exercise and being out before it got hot. And, I really enjoyed the nap I took later that afternoon. :)
Holden has had t-ball 3 days this week. These are the first games the older kids have been able to attend. They think it is hilarious watching the 5 and under set play ball. Today, Holden found the batting gloves, so he had to wear them. He stepped up to the tee, hiked up his shorts, clappes his hands together, adjusted his hat, took up the bat and SWUNG! The ball went 4 feet. And he ran just as fast as his little legs could carry him! And he was so proud, and we cheered for him, and he thought he was the coolest kid out there with his gloves on.
Haiden is getting a bit more distraught now days, and I think it's because our routines have changed with school being out. We saw her Dr. and discussed her behavior, and how she is displaying symptoms of Asperger's and what that means for her. Before we left the house today, she screamed at me for an hour, because we coudn't find her pink pants. Needless to say, we were all frantically trying to find them so she'd shut up. We found the pants, she put them on and was completely composed and happy. Luckily, I knew where all her shoes were. At the Dr.'s office, she sat very nicely in the chair next to me and waited until it was her turn, and then in the exam room, she sat on the floor next to me with a bucket of building toys, and made as many boxes as she could find pieces to make them. I think she made 12 total. Because of her age, it makes it difficult to test for and get therapy for certaing things at this point. This is very frustrating to me because I don't want to just throw pills at her and hope it gets better. I need to see a difference coming from therapies, books, ways of teaching her how to deal in her life. I need to be able to see her getting the coping skills she needs to be successful in life. But, because she is only 4, there are a lot of things they just can't look for yet. And that is frustrating for all of us, because she gets upset when she can't cope, and she gets frustrated when things aren't going right, and we don't know how to help her when she feels that way. She is highly intelligent, she can absorb information very easily, but she just doesn't know what to do with the information once she has it. Her social skills are getting better with people in our family, but she still doesn't know what to do with other kids who want her to play. It's a very frustrating thing, and to be told that it would be easier if we were on state assistance to get therapies that private insurance won't pay for, is heartbreaking! But, that's a whole other rant on our healthcare system that I won't get into because I just get mad. :) I think I'm beginning to see that this is going to be a lifelong struggle, journey, and commitment to making her well. I guess we will see where it goes!
12 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment