Thursday, November 5, 2009

Independent Thinker!

The elementary years are such wonderful years for children. They are the years that teach them to become independent. Sometimes this gets them into trouble. For example:

Haiden: *kicking the back of the seat in grandmas car*
Mom: Haiden, stop kicking the seat please.
Haiden: They are my feet and you can't make them stop!
Mom: I'm the mother and I can too make them stop. (see, now I just sound like an idiot.)
Haiden: *stops kicking, silent treatment for rest of car ride*

Haiden: I saw Alex in the cafeteria at school today, she was eating.
Mom: What were you doing in there?
Haiden: Payson and I were spying on people from the library
Mom:*10 seconds of silence* Where was your class?
Haiden: Outside.
Mom: Why weren't you with them?
Haiden: Because we wanted to chew gum in the Library, duh!
*much discussion regarding proper behavior at school ensued with much kicking and screaming about you are not the boss of me.*

*in the car*
Haiden: singing 5 fat turkeys
Mom: For Thanksgiving dinner we are going to have a fat turkey too!
Haiden: Eew!!! I don't want turkey!
Mom: Well, what are you going to eat then?
Haiden: A sandwich.

What I have learned from these conversations with Haiden:
1- I am not the boss of her feet, or any part of her for that matter.
2- I am the stupidest parent alive
3- I sound just like my mother
4- I don't know if I have great patience or have just given up the fight because resistance is futile.

I love my little kids, and this age is so fun! I am enjoying the tween stage of my older ones, but almost forgot how wonderful the 5-8 year old group is!

0 comments: