In March we recieved a letter from the Junior National Young Leaders Conference, inviting Skylar to participate because he was nominated by his teacher. It was a very exciting thing! So, we prepared and went over the fundraising ideas they suggested, went back and forth over whether or not to let him go, and finally decided to move forward and see what happened. Well, today is the last day to register, and we only got about 1/2 the funds to be able to register him. This is okay. He is thrilled to be nominated. I think he is a bit relieved that he won't be riding an airplane for the first time alone across the United States. I am relieved and disappointed at the same time. It would have been a wonderful opportunity for him, but I would have had a difficult time letting my 11 year old go across the country to Washington D.C. without me! Plus, given the rise in airline fuel, and the closure of the airlines and grounding of flights, I was getting a bit nervous about even finding him a flight there. We are so grateful for the opportunity he was given and for those who supported him in this endeavor. He is an amazing young man and we are so proud of him for being the kind of person his teacher would nominate to represent his school in Washington D.C.
Haiden has been on one lately. She has had a HUGE increase in her appetite since being on her medication (Risperdal). This is a concern for me. I discussed it with her doctor and he agreed we need to watch what she eats, but that is all he said. What am I supposed to watch?!? Yes, I took nutrition, and I took all my pre-req's for nursing, but I am clueless when it comes to my own kid. She is always hungry and has gained 2 pounds in the last month. I feel so bad because I have locks on my cupboards and fridge that I have to keep locked or she eats everything. Today she got into the food storage downstairs and was eating raw ramen noodles. Seriously, short of putting her under house arrest and everything under lock and key I don't know what to do. Her doctor also said she needs a play group a few times a week, so any of my friends out there reading this, call me and lets play. He said she will learn how to behave my mimicing other kids. I about fell on the floor laughing. I wanted to ask him, "What if the kids she is playing with are climbing the walls too?" Anyway, it's been a week.
12 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment